Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Long Lost File No. 5: Party Crackers

I'm all about traditions and one of my favorite traditions is pulling party crackers on Boxing Day. My cousin who was born in England introduced the game at Christmas a few years ago and I fell in love with them! They're so much fun and everyone enjoys some friendly competition every now and again. I thought to myself, "why do I only see these around during the holidays?" and decided that I want to share the joy of these little dynamos and make my own to use any time of the year!

Things Needed
Sturdy paper (the thicker, the more challenging to play!)
Toilet paper rolls or cylinder
Scissors
String/ribbon
Goodies to put inside

Optional: Things to decorate outside of party crackers with
Snaps
 
1. Decorate paper if desired. I my party crackers for a themed party so I drew pictures of nautical themed things!

2. Wrap paper around a cylinder shape and measure paper to make sure it wraps fully around the tube and can fit the goodies you want to put inside the crackers leaving about five (5) inches on the ends to pull on.



3. On one end of the tube, pinch the paper 4-5 inches from the end. Twist the pinched part gently to make it stay in place.






















4. Tie the part you just twisted with string or ribbon and knot it twice for extra security.

5. Fill party crackers with whatever your heart desires! Some ideas could be candy, snaps, confetti, party poppers, lottery tickets, little toys and trinkets, etc. etc. Traditional ones have tissue paper crowns which are always fun. :-)



6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 and the battle is on!


How to Play
This game requires two people per cracker with each person holding one end.
On the count of three, both players pull as quickly and hard as they can and whoever receives the longer side wins the contents inside! 

I made these for my birthday this year and everyone had a blast. It's a fun and exciting way for people to get to know each other and show off your competitive side. And gives you bragging rights when you win!

Have you ever been challenged to a party cracker face off?

>>>-------------------->
xoxo, Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment